Sunday, January 4, 2015

Recipe: Carrot Somtam


I usually use young (green) papaya to make this but I just had the sudden urge for Somtam and I only had carrots in the kitchen and was too lazy to go out. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients
3 medium size carrots (clean and peeled)
2 chili padi
1 small clove of garlic
2 strings long bean (note: I didn't have it so I didn't put)
1 tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts
5 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 tablespoon palm sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
1 teaspoon chopped dried shrimp

Preparation
1. Grate the peeled carrots (the shreds should be thin and long actually but this time, I was just too hungry and settled for whatever I could get).
2. In a mortar and pestle (lesung), pound the chilies and garlic until they're broken up.
3. Add the long green beans and roasted peanuts, pounding only enough to break them up a little bit.
4. Add the shredded carrots, tomato, sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and dried shrimp, pounding until everything is thoroughly mixed together.

Add more sugar, lime juice, or fish sauce to taste (the end product should be sweet, sour, and a little bit salty).

Have fun cooking!
Y

No comments:

Post a Comment

You saying?